This user guide provides the steps required to configure the ASUS Router using OpenVPN Protocol.
Note: This tutorial is only compatible with the following Asus routers:
RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC3200, RT-AC3100, RT-AC1750, RT-AC88U, RT-AC66R, RT-AC55U
Step1 – Register an account with StarVPN
Step 2 – VPN Login Information
Log into the StarVPN member dashboard here. You can find your VPN username and password for each slot in the Manage Slots Section or dashboard area.
If you have multiple slots, the VPN configuration settings and credentials can be located in the “Manage Slots” section.
Step 3 – Choose your IP Type
Choose the type of IP you want to connect to. Options include – Static Residential, Mobile, Rotating or Datacenter. Once the selection is made, choose the Country, Region and ISP respective to the IP Type category you wish to connect to.
Step 4 – Download OpenVPN Configuration Files
The next step, you must download the VPN server configuration files necessary so that the OpenVPN Software knows where to connect to. Download the configuration file in the members area dashboard. This will be the only config file required to connect to all VPN access points.
Step 5 – Login to ASUS Router
- Login to the Router Admin UI by accessing your web browser and entering the Router IP in the address bar. The default address is 192.168.1.1.
- Login with the username and password you setup for your router account. By default, your User Name should be admin and your Password should be admin.
Step 6 – Configure VPN Settings
- Navigate to the left pane menu and select Advanced Settings -> VPN
- Select the “VPN Client” tab from the top menu, click “Add Profile“
- Select the “OpenVPN” tab and enter the following details
Description: Useful details about your VPN Connection Profile
Username: StarVPN VPN Username (Created in Step 1)
Password: StarVPN VPN Password (Created in Step 1)
Import .ovpn file: StarVPN OpenVPN configuration file (Downloaded in Step 3)
- Select “OK”
- Finally, click on “Activate” to Connect to the VPN Server
- To validate the connection, using a web browser, visit http://whatismyip.com